Monday, December 9, 2013

Chapter 3, problem 16

I hope no one has already done this one already -

Draw the isomers for the following compounds, and name each one:
A)  2-methyl-2,4-hexadiene
B)  2,4-heptadiene
C)  1,3-pentadiene

Ok, so before we start tackling this problems, I would like to say that it is important to take your time when figuring these out.  I always find that breaking down each part of the name and working backwards is the best way to go, as you'll see in my explanations...



A)  2-methyl-2,4-hexadiene


  Soooo, let's break it down -->   2-methyl-2,4-hexadiene ... ene means I have a double bond and di tells me I have tow of them, hexa tells me that I will have 6 of something (usually Carbon), 2,4- tells me where the 'enes' will be (ene means that I have an SP2 - a RC=CR), and 2-methyl, tells me I have a methyl on carbon two.  Sooo, we start on the left, and draw 6 C, then add our 'ene' (double bond) to Carbons 2 and 4.

B)  2,4-heptadiene





We continue with the same process --> 2,4-heptadiene...  ene means I have a double bond and di tells me I have tow of them, hepta tells me that I will have 7 of something (usually Carbon), and 2,4 tells me where I put my two 'enes'.


C)  1,3-pentadiene





Again, same thing... 1,3-pentadiene --> ene means double bond, di means I have two of them, penta means I have 5 of something (Usually Carbon), and 1,3 tells me where my two (di) 'enes' go.






No comments:

Post a Comment