Thursday, August 29, 2013

Glucose: It is found in all life forms


Glucose: It is found in all life forms
Chemical formula: C6H12O6 (Other names: 2,3,4,5,6-pentahydroxyhexanol)

My favorite organic molecule is glucose because it is the human body’s fundamental source of energy! It is one of the most vital compounds of life. It is also oxidized to form CO2 and water, which are imperative compounds to form ATP. Glucose is also the primary source of energy for the brain and so a lack of it influences psychological processes. Glucose is named after a Greek word meaning sweet or sugar. It was first discovered by Andreas Marggraf, a German chemist, in 1747 and the structure was revealed by Emil Fischer (also a German chemist) during the late 19th-20th century. Don’t you just love chemists? (ha,ha). I love glucose because I love life and it is found in all life forms. As an active person I rely on my energy to get me through the things I love to do such as hiking, soccer, and all the wonderful things life has to offer. It also provides energy in the form of heat, which is a source of warmth for the body. It is wonderful to know that a molecule such as glucose is responsible for that energy. It is even more fascinating to know that it actually originates from plants and so it is natural.

 

 






 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. This is an amazing compound and my tongue is the only organ that is attracted to this molecule like an electron to a nucleus. I like the way how sugar is actually produced naturally by plants through photosynthesis. It would be nice to learn how plants produce this molecule through photosynthesis and how the bonds formed. My favorite part about glucose is that it is my fuel when I need to wake up or a burst of quick energy on a sluggish day. Thanks for sharing your love for sugar!

    ReplyDelete