Saturday, August 31, 2013

My favorite Organic Molecule...

My favorite Organic Molecule is Alpha-tocopherol, or Vitamin E. This vitamin takes me all the way back to my childhood because my mother is an advocate for home-remedies and Vitamin E was always on her list. She said that it would help wounds, my skin, nails, and hair and to over all make me feel better. I never believed her but now that I look back I always scraped my knees and body and I don't have any scars from them. I also have healthy skin and nails. 

According to Mayoclinic.com Vitamin E exists in eight different forms, but Alpha-tocopherol is the most common and useful to humans. There is a good amount of food that contains Vitamin E like eggs, fruit, green-leafy vegetables, nuts, oils, and whole grains. So if you do not like taking pills there is other ways to get Vitamin E into your system.
Mayoclinic also states that Vitamin E does infact help your skin, hair, and nails and it helps prevents scarification. So I guess my mother's superstitions and home remedies of Vitamin E was right.

Since I have been taking Organic Chemistry I have been looking at molecules differently and Vitamin E looks very cool to me and I can understand the bonds and break it down to how it actually works a little bit better:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment